The combination of savory and sweet make the absolute best breakfast combinations. I tend to always lean toward sweeter breakfasts – pancakes, french toast, pannenkoeken, oatmeal… but they’re often missing that savory component that really brings it to the next level, in my personal opinion anyways.
It’s been awhile since we’ve bought any breakfast meats, but the idea for these waffles made us be sure to put some on the list. Feel free to sub your favorite brand of bacon, turkey bacon, tofu bacon, tempeh bacon… you get the point.
- 1/4c coconut flour
- 1/4c ground flax meal
- 1t baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2t cinnamon
- 1/2c milk
- 1c egg whites (around 6 egg whites)
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1t vanilla
- 1 serving bacon, cooked, cooled and crumbled
1. Start warming up your waffle maker (a pancake griddle would work too if you’d like pancakes instead of waffles).
2. Using your blender, put in the eggs and blend for 30 seconds.
3. Add in all of the other ingredients, minus the bacon, into the blender and blend for an additional 30 seconds.
4. Let the batter thicken for 5 minutes, and then stir in the bacon.
5. Once the waffle maker is heated and your batter has rested, spray the maker with oil and place large enough scoops to fill up each section.
6. Let cook until golden, checking occasionally to make sure they don’t overcook.
I topped with peanut butter + maple syrup, enhancing the savory + sweet flavor combination. Breakfast perfection.