If you’ve read my blog before, I think you’ve noticed I have a thing for muffins. So when it comes to celebrating the 4th of July, I just had to create a recipe that utilized the colors of the American Flag. I knew berries would give me the colors I was looking for but didn’t want to use them for the blue and red, so I used cherries and poppyseeds. You may not think of poppyseeds as blue, but I think they have a blue tint and they definitely worked in the recipe! To finish the trio, the millet was added as the ‘white’. Although none of my baked goods are white anymore, I think the millet stood out enough to count ;).
Works for me. And with this recipe being gluten free and vegan, no one will be left out.
Red, White & Blue Muffins makes 12
- 1/2 c oat flour
- 1/2 c millet flour
- 1/2 c oat bran
- 1/4 c ground flaxseed (grind 1/4 c whole flax seeds, which will be enough for this + the flax egg)
- 1t baking soda
- 1 1/2t baking powder
- 1/2t salt
- 3/4t xanthan gum (you could leave out, but the muffins would be a bit crumbly)
- 1/4 c poppyseeds
- 1/4c millet
- 1 flax egg (1T ground flax +2T warm water, let sit for 5 minutes)
- 1/4c unsweetened applesauce
- 1T maple syrup
- 3/4 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1t vanilla extract
- 1/2t almond extract
- 1c cherries, pitted and cut in quarters
1. Toast the millet in a pan on the stovetop. Heat over medium heat and stir frequently until you start to smell the millet toasting and hear it pop. Allow to cool.
2. Mix together all of the dry ingredients from the oat flour to the millet and whisk together.
3. Whisk the remaining ingredients (except for the cherries) and add to the dry ingredients.
4. Mix the dry + wet ingredients until fully incorporated and then mix in the cherries.
5. Bake in a 375* oven for about 20 minutes or until set.
When the muffins first come out of the oven, you will taste quite a bit of almond from the extract, but it will decrease once the muffins have cooled so don’t be alarmed!
Garnish with cherries and these make a delightful and healthy addition to your menu :).