I love islands. Well, to be honest I have only been on a couple of islands. I went to Hawaii in 2005, I’ve been to Martha’s Vinyard, Great Britain, Long Island… apparently besides Hawaii I have not been to any other tropical islands… Man, that needs to change! I do know however that I love tropical flavors. Pineapple, coconut, mango, papaya – count me in! And I can’t wait until I get to go back to Hawaii in November to be able to eat Dragonfruit again! My favorite from what I can remember :).
Anyways, since it is almost officially summer (only a few more days!), I thought a tropical-inspired granola sounded pretty good. Coconut, mangos, cashews… if only I had a beach and a cabana to sit by to enjoy it in.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/4 c coconut
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, cut in pieces
- 2t cinnamon
- 1/2t ground ginger
- 1 serving dried mangos, cut into pieces*
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2T mango butter
- 1t vanilla
- ~2T water (optional)
1. In a small pan over medium heat, toast the coconut for a few minutes to develop its flavor.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
3. Mix together the wet ingredients and add them into the dry. The addition of water in the wet ingredients helps to make your granola clump together so there are more clusters. This was the first time trying it but it seemed to work pretty well!
4. Bake on a baking sheet in a 350* oven for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
*In normal granola recipes, raisins and other dried fruits are added in after baking. It wasn’t intentional to bake the mango in this recipe, everything just kind of got thrown together ;). Baking it makes the mango a little more crunchy, so it’s up to you whether or not you want to bake it or add it in at the end.
Whether you’re headed to a beach with a cabana, or simply to your backyard with a beach towel to enjoy the sun, this granola will not disappoint.